Jonathan Duhamel began the year on the top of the BLUFF Player of the Year contest with a strong performance at PCA, briefly lost the lead to Oliver Speidel after the Aussie Millions, then recaptured it less than two weeks later at EPT Deauville. Duhamel will carry that lead it into the World Series with a number of strong contenders breathing down his neck, hoping to duplicate the performance 2011 Player of the Year Eugene Katchalov put together at the WSOP on the way to his win.
The biggest jump this week comes from Joe Kuether, who jumped up ten spots all the way into the top 5. After winning a $1,000 prelim event at Bellagio last week that didn’t get enough player to qualify for POY points, Kuether traveled out to Los Angeles to play the $2,000 Main Event at the California State Poker Championship. He ultimately finished third, picking up 90 valuable POY points and over $64,000, the second largest cash of the year. There’s still a lot of work to be done, as the fifth and tenth place positions in the contest are currently separated by less than 30 points.
Two other players also made jumps in the top 20 this week. Allan Le finished fourth in the California State Poker Championship Main Event to debut on this list in 19th place, knocking Ognjen Sekularac out of the top 20. John Dolan made the final table of a World Series of Poker Circuit prelim event in New Orleans to move up from eighth to seventh.
By this time next week, the first final tables of the 2012 WSOP will be getting underway, and from that point on the POY race will likely change on an almost daily basis. Be sure to keep up with all of the WSOP action and its drastic effect on the POY race throughout the Summer right here at BluffMagazine.com.
Here is the list of the current top 20 in the BLUFF Poker Player Power Rankings:
( ) – Change in Position
- (-) Jonathan Duhamel – 713.30
- (-) Oliver Speidel – 669.81
- (-) Dan Smith – 664.26
- (-) Andrew Chen – 503.37
- (+10) Joe Kuether – 471.87
- (-1) Will Failla – 457.35
- (+1) John Dolan – 455.70
- (-2) Dan Kelly – 453.35
- (-2) John Dibella – 450.75
- (-1) Sean Jazayeri – 441.88
- (-1) Daniel Negreanu – 438.50
- (-1) Mohsin Charania – 430.35
- (-1) Ruben Visser – 422.00
- (-1) Justin Bonomo – 415.82
- (-1) Faraz Jaka – 403.03
- (-) Bruno Lopes – 382.10
- (-) Bertrand Grospellier – 369.45
- (-) Tommy Vedes – 350.63
- (NR) Allan Le – 350.39
- (-1) Vadim Kursevich – 345.10
Latest posts by Tim Fiorvanti (see all)
- BRACELET RACE: Hellmuth Makes a Run at 15, Ivey Finally Shows Up - July 4, 2015
- Brazilian Poker: A Passionate Love of the Game - July 3, 2015
- Alex Lindop Wins 2nd UK Bracelet of 2015, Online Final Table Set - July 3, 2015
- Ant Zinno Wins $25K PLO Bracelet, $1.1M; Takes Huge BLUFF POY Lead - July 2, 2015
- Faraz Jaka Forges His Own Path to Enlightenment Through Poker - July 1, 2015